I don’t cook, but I love food. It can be a tough life. I am capable of cooking a few things, and would rarely actually read a recipe. I read yumsugar.com mainly for the pictures. But today I came across an entry about a food that looks both appetizing and within my range. It is simplified chicken parmesan in an open sandwich form. I love chicken parmesan and recently had a good chicken parmesan sandwich at the cart outside of school that I can’t get out of my mind. I believe the recipe is a Rachel Ray quick meal. It is my goal to make it.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
One 26-ounce box chopped tomatoes
Salt and pepper
Crushed red pepper
4 thin chicken cutlets
2 tablespoons butter, softened
Two 6-inch firm-textured hoagie rolls, split
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add 3 garlic cloves and fry until lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season the sauce to taste with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and oregano.
- Add the chicken and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Spread a little butter on each hoagie roll half, place cut side up on a small baking sheet and broil until golden and crunchy, about 3 minutes. Gently rub with the remaining garlic clove and set aside.
- Distribute half of the mozzarella on the roll halves. Arrange the chicken and some sauce over the cheese and then top with the remaining cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle a bit of oregano on top and serve immediately.