I thought what better way to get through hump day, than a little kissing trivia. Enjoy!
- The average person will spend an estimated 20,160 min kissing in their lifetime.
Ancient Egyptians never kissed with their mouths. Instead they kissed with their noses.
- Kissing helps reduce tooth decay because the extra saliva helps clean out your mouth
- On Valentine’s Day 2004, 5,122 Philippine coupes gathered together at midnight and locked lips. This kissathon beat the previous world record of 4,445 set in January in Chile.
- The Chinese didn’t kiss until the practice was introduced by Westerners, and they’re still not very keen on it.
You burn 26 calories in a one minute kiss.
- Kissing releases the same neurotransmitters (chemical messengers in the brain) as those that are released when you engage in intense exercise such as running a marathon or skydiving. This causes your heart to beat faster and your breathing to become deep and irregular.
- Our brains have special neurons that help us find each others lips in the dark
- The science of kissing is called philematology.
- There are many strange laws regarding kissing that are still on the books. In Indiana, it is illegal for a man with a moustache to “habitually kiss human beings”. And in Hartford, CT, it is illegal for a man to kiss his wife on a Sunday.
- In Naples, Italy in the 16th century, kissing was an offence that carried the death penalty.
Onur Guentuerkuen of Ruhr-University Bochum in Bochum, Germany, studied hundreds of couples kissing.
- In his study, he found that two-thirds of people turn their heads to the right when kissing.
- On Valentine’s Day 2004, an Italian couple made their way into the record books with a 31-hour 18-minute Valentine kiss. The couple beat the previous record by 18 minutes and 33 seconds, however, the man had to receive oxygen afterwards.